IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Browneopsis ucayalina tree

Cindy Adair

I've only seen this tree in Puerto Rico and those were grown from seed from Ecuador. Can this tree or its relatives grow in Florida , Hawaii, California, etc. I know Ari grows it, but am curious why I've don't recall seeing it at least in botanical gardens. Does anyone grow it inside/in a greenhouse or will it only grow in truly tropical areas? The two seeds I was given sprouted easily with the seedling shown in the photo from a seed planted in July. Has anyone tried cuttings? Perhaps I've seen it without knowing it as the mature leaves are a nondescript green.

post-4111-088307900 1285449580_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

I wish I could add photos to your thread, but none of mine are flushing at the moment.... I think Jeff Searle has one...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's incredible, waiting for some brownea grandiceps seeds off my friends tree. This is much prettier, love the way the new growth hangs like a handkerchief. I know they are related so if they have a similar cold tolerance I'd say they would live here. Good luck, hope it does well for you.

I know someone who has struck some cuttings.

Getting one soon.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This grows in Floriduh but mine is not thriving. Slow growing for me. The cold stunted it a bit,too.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I know someone who has struck some cuttings.

Getting one soon.

The good doctor has it, Michael. Not cheap though... Can you grow them from cuttings?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

yes

This is one of my favorit trees! I have been growing them for about 8 years now in Miami and they seem to do alright, although painfully slow. The ones i have in the ground survived this past winter but half of my seedlings did not. They grow much faster in Hawaii. Since they are so slow and not a big tree to begin with, it should do fine in a greenhouse. Browneopsis love acid like most browneas so i think they will do better in areas like broward and in yards that have lots of mulch. I will try to post a picture.

P.s. i have a few available for sale or trade if people are interested.

Scott

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

• 5 years later...

Honestly a few days ago when I saw the dark brown hanging down I thought another tree fern frond had fallen from above and stepped the couple of feet from my porch to remove it. This is one of the two seedlings I started in VA from a PR gift of seed from Ecuador. My dear Friend Felipe has since died, but his legacy continues in many special trees here.

I still have not tried cuttings or air layers on my big tree and need to be more watchful for seed too!

Likely I will take more photos as the leaves change daily but still before dawn here!

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.jpg

Cindy Adair

bludy.thumb.jpg.367a2d4581c07bf97c0742ff

I can see these leaves from where I am sitting at my kitchen table/desk right now. I should go check my other two in distant spots to see if they are as photogenic, but the lightening is a deterrent for now.

DSCN4199.jpg

DSCN4200.JPG

Cindy Adair

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/27/2010 at 4:07 PM, Scott Cohen said:

This is one of my favorit trees! I have been growing them for about 8 years now in Miami and they seem to do alright, although painfully slow. The ones i have in the ground survived this past winter but half of my seedlings did not. They grow much faster in Hawaii. Since they are so slow and not a big tree to begin with, it should do fine in a greenhouse. Browneopsis love acid like most browneas so i think they will do better in areas like broward and in yards that have lots of mulch. I will try to post a picture.

P.s. i have a few available for sale or trade if people are interested.

Scott

On 8/26/2016 at 6:46 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I can see these leaves from where I am sitting at my kitchen table/desk right now. I should go check my other two in distant spots to see if they are as photogenic, but the lightening is a deterrent for now.

DSCN4199.jpg

DSCN4200.JPG

Hi I'm looking for plants and seeds of browneopsis ucayalina posted to uk can you help?

On 9/25/2010 at 10:29 PM, ariscott said:

I wish I could add photos to your thread, but none of mine are flushing at the moment.... I think Jeff Searle has one...

Hi I am looking for plants and seeds of browneopsis ucayalina can you help in in the United kingdom?

I am growing mine in the greenhouse. It would probably not make it here in zone 9A borderline 9B. I bought mine from a nursery in Hawaii mail order. They are very hard to source. I also am growing a few other handkerchief trees in the greenhouse...Mantiloa, Brownea grandiceps and B. macrophylla. I have managed to bloom the Browneas because they are over a decade old. The Mantiloa and Browneopsis are new within the past 2 years 

Sept09014.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9781.jpg

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

4 hours ago, Manson said:

Hi I am looking for plants and seeds of browneopsis ucayalina can you help in in the United kingdom?

Sorry, no seeds on my one tree at my new farm. 
Good Luck in your search!

Cindy Adair

Pretty boring flowers on this tree.

No seeds set from first flowering.

P1010961.JPG

P1010962.JPG

P1010963.JPG

P1010970.JPG

• Like 1

I dunno I kind of like the little random puffballs!

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

• 3 weeks later...

To be able to see these gorgeous new leaves and other tropical beauties is a big reason I live in Puerto Rico!

Probably not a high quality photo but no time to grab a better camera tonight.

DC998ED4-0C5F-454A-AEBD-1B66654E020A.thumb.jpeg.e8ec3dcd19b896a62e0dec96607bd0d7.jpeg

Cindy Adair

• 1 year later...

I never tire of seeing these colorful leaves! No sign of flowers yet. 

IMG_8677.thumb.jpeg.a0f22164c32370718ad932b1abebf137.jpeg

IMG_8681.thumb.jpeg.19c1f3b36cdb48cc6459d68f1d274b28.jpeg

IMG_8678.thumb.jpeg.e419cae331f089f5ddbeec7b369882c5.jpeg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair